Listed Buildings in Walberton, Binsted & Fontwell

Address

Detail

Grade

The Glebe House,

Binsted Lane       

C18 or earlier. Two storeys. Four windows. Painted brick. Stringcourse. Hipped thatched roof. Modern casement windows.

 

2
Marsh Farmhouse,

Binsted Lane

C16. Two storeys. Three windows. Chequered work of knapped flints and stone with red brick dressings. Stepped brick chimney breast on base of stone and flints at both ends. Gable above the chimney breast with the chimney running through the centre of it. Square-headed casement windows with brick mullions. Tiled roof. C19 wing of flints to south east. Modern addition to west.

2
The Hermitage,

Arundel Road 

Early C19. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with Roman cement. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Later gabled porch. To the east is a contemporary section of lower elevation, one storey and one window. This is an obtusely-pointed window with Gothic glazing. The east front of this section has two such windows and is faced with flints.

2
Dovecote at the south end Dairy Lane
This building was originally part of the farm buildings attached to Pigeon House Farm, to which it gave its name. But they have been detached from the house of that name which is no longer a farmhouse and not in Dairy Lane. Round C18 building faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Conical tiled roof with birds' entrance at the apex. 2
Old Hall Cottage

(formerly listed as
Holly Tree Cottages), The Street

This is one building, originally two cottages, now one house. C18 or earlier. Two storeys. Four windows. Red brick and flints, once painted. Hipped thatched roof. Casement windows.

2
Forge Cottages,

The Street

Originally two cottages, with the Forge adjoining on the east. Now one house. C18. Two storeys. Four windows. Faced with brick and flints, now painted. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Beyond the south east wing of one window-bay was the forge building now a shop (Country Crafts).

2
The remains of the Village Pond,

The Street

C19. Small enclosure of flint walls, the south and east side complete, the west side partly so. The north side is missing but has been partly rebuilt to the height of about one foot.

2
Jessamine Cottage,

The Street

Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with grey headers with red brick dressings, quoins, stringcourse and modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. The northernmost window-bay is of slightly lower elevation. Modern red  brick porch.

2
Magnolia Cottage,

The Street

C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Red brick and grey headers. Tiled roof. Glazing bars missing. Doorway with flat hood over.

2
Church Farmhouse,

Binsted Lane

C18. Two storeys and attic. Five windows. Two dormers. Red brick. hipped tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway up five steps with iron handrail and banister on each side and flat hood on brackets and door of six fielded panels.

2
Morley's Croft,

Binsted Lane

Probably C17, refaced with red brick. Two storeys. Four windows. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Chimney breast on east wall.

2
Goodacres,

Arundel Road

Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Stuccoed. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with flat hood over supported on narrow wooden uprights. The house is empty and neglected.

2
Choller Farmhouse,

Barnham Lane

C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with Roman cement. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with flat hood over and door of six fielded panels.

2
Beam Ends,

Hedgers Hill

C16 timber-framed building with the timbering exposed at the west end of the first floor with plaster infilling but mostly refaced with red brick. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Two storeys. Three windows.

2
Holly Tree Cottage,

The Street

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with cobbles with dressings, quoins, flush stringcourse and modillion eaves cornice of red brick and grey headers. Tiled roof. Casement windows.

2
No. 14 (Fernleigh),

The Street

C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Stuccoed. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows. Shed projections on ground floor at each end.

2
Nos 15 to 20 (consec),

The Street

One building. Early C19. Two storeys. Six windows. Red brick and grey headers. Flush stringcourse of grey headers. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.

2
Ingleside and Walberton Post Office,

The Street 

One building. Pair of cottages erected in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Two storeys. Four windows. Faced with flints with stone dressings and quoins. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact in upper halves only of the windows. Two bays on ground floor of three windows each, set in round-headed arches. Tablet with a profile medallion of Queen Victoria and an inscription commemorating the Jubilee in
detail.

2
The Stables and Coach-house to the north of Walberton Stores,

The Street

Long single-storeyed building. Early C19. Faced with cobbles with red brick dressings and quoins. Hipped slate roof. Central doorway flanked by two small windows. Wide double coach-house at each end.

2
The Dower House,

The Street

C18. Two storeys and attic. Three windows. Three dormers. Stuccoed. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Good doorway with fluted columns, pediment, semi-circular blocked fanlight and door of six fielded panels. Later addition to west.

2
Manor Lodge and the West Wing

(formerly listed as stables with Walberton Manor), The Street

One building. Originally the Stables of Walberton House, now converted into two houses. Early C19. Two storeys. Eleven windows. Red brick and grey headers, the south front stuccoed. Hipped slate roof. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central projection of three windows with doorway having hood over on brackets and door of six fielded panels.

2
Walberton House

(formerly listed as Walberton Manor), The Street

Built by Robert Prime about 1817. Architect Robert Smirke. One of the best Regency country houses in Sussex. Two storeys. Seven windows. Stuccoed. Cornice and parapet. The end window-bays project slightly. Glazing bars intact. Portico of eight fluted Doric columns the whole length of the house. Good staircase inside. Modern service wings to north.

2*
Brewery Cottage,

The Street

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Painted brick. Tiled roof. Casement windows with segmental heads. Doorway with flat hood on brackets and door of six fielded panels.

2
Friars Oak and Little Box Cottage

(Formerly listed as: Walberton Green, Walberton Friars Oak and Friars Oak Cottage)

Two cottages, C18 or earlier

MATERIALS: Painted brick with thatched roof

EXTERIOR: Two cottages under a single roof. Two storeys, seven casement windows, those on first floor set in eyebrow dormers. Thatched roof with scalloped ridge and three ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: not inspected

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Friars Oak and Little Box Cottage, Walberton Green is listed for the following principal reason:
* Architectural Interest: a good example of an C18 vernacular cottage, retaining its thatched roof.

2
Avisford Park Hotel,

Yapton Lane

Large early C19 house, probably built by Admiral Sir George Montagu on the site of anearlier building. From 1928-1974 a school. Enlarged as a hotel in 1975. Two storeys and attic. Thirteen windows. Modern dormers. Stuccoed, ground floor rusticated.
Stringcourse, cornice and parapet. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Modern porch. South half of west front curved. Good staircase inside. Large modern matching hotel addition to the east.

2
Nos 1 to 3

(Swiss Cottage) Yapton Lane

One building. L-shaped mid C19 building in imitation of a timber-framed building. Two storeys. Six windows. Ground floor faced with cobbles set in galletting. Above red and white bricks with ornamental panels of timbering, the north west wing tile-hung with a gable over with scalloped bargeboards. Tiled roof. Casement windows. South wing has three gabled dormers and three porches with sloping tiled
roofs.

2
The Old Vicarage,

The Street

C18. Two storeys. Six windows. Painted brick. Hipped tiled roof and attic. One modern hipped dormer. Painted brick. Hipped tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Porch with four slender columns and tent-shaped canopy. Bay on west wall.

2
The Old Malt House,

The Street

A former malthouse, converted into a dwelling. Long building of one storey and attic. Early C19 or earlier. Six windows. West end painted brick, east end stuccoed. Tiled roof. Higher portion in the centre with hipped roof and octagonal louvred turret.

2
Smugglers Steps,

The Street

House. Late C17, 2 bay timber framed building with C18, 1 bay extensions either end, with C19 extensions to right hand side and some C20 alterations. Exterior refronted in C18, painted brick in English bond. Renewed tiled roof with off central C17 stack to left side and
end right C18 chimneystack. 1½ storeys 5 windows. Attic has 2 gabled dormers with C20 casements. One ground floor window to right of doorcase has original cambered arch. Mid C20 gabled brick porch. To right is C19 1 storey extension of flint and brick, now painted. C18 catslide to rear. Interior has late C17 spine beam with 1½ inch chamfer and elaborate stop. Open fireplace with 2 spice alcoves and apertures to bread oven. Obverse of open fireplace has curious narrow cupboard with ribbed stone top. First floor rear wall has jowled posts with midrail diagonal braces. Roof has collar beam and rafters. C17, 3 plank door on pintle hinges.

2
Monument to Charles Cook

in St Mary's Churchyard

Headstone. Circa 1767. Marks the grave of Charles and Sarah Cook. Height 127cm: width
90cm. It commemorates the death of Charles Cook who lost his life by the fall of a tree on 20th March 1767 aged 30 years and also his widow Sarah who died in 1788. The subject matter is quite remarkable and unique with high quality Rococo carving and fine lettering. At top the Head of God with pen and book, and below Him a semi-circle of clouds; from its centre hangs a scales. On either side of the God-head inverted cornucopia and trumpeting cherubs flying through clouds. On either side of the God-head inverted cornucopia and trumpeting cherubs flying through clouds. Below this the scene of the accident has been depicted: a hatted gentleman with spade and pick raises a hand in horror ; in front of him an uprooted tree beneath which lies a body and close to it a tricorn hat. To the left of the tree stands a skeleton with poised arrow and to its right sits Father Time, a scythe in one hand and a half-filled hourglass in the other. There is an oakleaf scroll along the bottom of the bas-relief. Below the scene the stone is divided into two panels. The left one tells of Charles Cook; the right in memory of Sarah Cook. At the base are 2 poems, 8 lines for Charles, 4 for Sarah. They are in strongly contrasting styles and rhythm.

2
The Lodge of Avisford

Park Hotel, Yapton Lane

Mid C19 building, probably built by Major General Sir Denis Pack. T-shaped building in Italianate style. One storey. Three windows. Slate roof. Two gables facing east. Round-headed casement windows in pairs. Gabled portico on the south side.

2
The Royal Oak Inn,

Yapton Lane

Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Painted brick. Wide stuccoed stringcourse. Modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with pilasters and pediment.

2
The Parish Church of St Mary,

The Street

Chancel, nave with aisles, and weather-boarded bell-turret at west end with shingled spire. Medieval church, much restored by Richard Greed in 1903. Nave C12, chancel C13.

1
The Gatepiers and Boundary Wall of Walberton House

to the north east of the house and adjoining Manor Lodge on the east

Gatepiers of flints with white brick quoins and stuccoed finials with ball tops. On each side of these is a curved wall of cobbles on a red brick base with brick stringcourse and ornamental pattern of flints and white brick at the top and red brick coping over this. This curve is continued on the east in a straight wall, of which the lower part is in flints with a red brick coping and the upper part in red brick with a series of small brick buttresses.

2
CHURCH OF ST MARY,

Bisted Lane


Chancel and nave without division between them, shingled bell-turret at west end of nave, south porch and balancing vestry to north the size of a porch. Mainly Norman, restored by Sir Thomas Jackson in 1867, the porch and vestry added in 1867. Wall-painting of 1180 circa in the splay of a window in north wall. Open timbered roof without ceiling below it. Very attractive small church, little restored.

2
Meadow Lodge,

Binsted Lane

Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Paint brick. Modillion eaves cornice.
Hipped tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Modern porch.

2
The Thatched Cottage,

Hoe Lane

C16 timber-framed cottage, refaced with red brick, cobbles and stone. Hipped thatched roof. Casement windows. Modern gabled porch. Two storeys. Three windows.

2
Pear Tree Cottage,

The Street (Formerly listed as Tye Cottage)

One building, originally three cottages but now one house. C18. Two storeys. Seven windows. Red brick and grey headers, once colour-washed. Hipped thatched roof. Casement windows. Gabled porch.

2
Myrtle Cottage,

The Street 

Early C19. Two storeys. Two windows. Stuccoed. Slate roof. Casement windows. Doorway with pediment-shaped hood and door of six fielded panels.

2
Madehurst Wood Earthworks
Sheduled Ancient Monument  
Goblestubbs Copse earthworks
Sheduled Ancient Monument